Family Learning Society Concept
Cascade Family Learning Society is registered under Tamil Nadu Registrar of Societies Act. This is run by the parents as volunteers across all functions right by forming committees to run day to day operation of the society. Our teaching parents ratio is unique. Our parents volunteer to learn Montessori Methodology through recognized institutions and join us back to impart their learning to their children and/or other children in the society. This is strictly not for profit organisation exclusive to families who believe in alternate educational methodology and who can spare time and resources for the betterment of their children and the society.
Currently there are about 30 families in this society with children from 3 and above . We have set up different environments for different age groups and can accommodate up to 60 families with enhanced infrastructure.
Write to us for an appointment if you are interested to know more on this concept.
CASCADE FLS is a private, family membership based Montessori resource centre originally founded in Jan 2011 under the aegis of Relief Foundation. The underpinning of our facility is the Montessori Philosophy on approach to education as an aid to life.
Dr. Maria Montessori was an Italian physician and educator and the first woman in Italy to receive a medical degree. Maria Montessori believed the purpose of education should be an aid to life. She believed education should go far beyond the mere acquisition of knowledge in various areas of culture.
Dr. Montessori’s approach to education emphasizes the potential of the young child, and attempts to develop this potential by means of a prepared environment and a unique teaching strategy utilizing specially trained teachers and specifically designed learning materials and apparatus having an inherent appeal to the child. Maria Montessori believed that children carry within themselves their own unique personality, pattern of development, strengths and abilities. When given an environment which allows for this natural development to occur, they will learn in personal and powerful ways. The Montessori Method assists the child in developing self-awareness, a positive self-image, independence, self-confidence and a life-long love of learning. Its approach to education embraces the dignity of the child as a person, the necessity of recognizing individual differences, the catalytic role of the teacher and the prepared environment designed to help each child actualize his/her potentialities. Everything we do originates from the deepest respect for and love of the child.
CASCADE Family Learning Society is located at Besant Nagar, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India.
It strives to be a perfect model of a Cooperative learning center for home educating parents.
On the family learning cooperative model of education
Home education for children is a win win for the family if one of the parents at least is geared up for the wonderful journey. It provides room and space for unfolding of innumerable opportunities of learning as a continuum that is otherwise unavailable for children who are strapped onto the factory schooling model that is dominating the education scene in many parts of the world.
- Children below 6 were anyway at home till nursery programs started say 50 years ago
- They moved with adults and learnt many things that adults do in a daily life
- Characteristics of this age permitted learning from the immediate environment
- Parents today are faced with a dilemma of giving up career for children’s upbringing and education
- Our approach is to provide for shared resources for families willing to invest their time and efforts for children.This will be for the sake of children who can form peer groups for improved learning and pro social behaviour
Our guiding principles
- At CASCADE we approach education from the premise that children develop themselves and adults only need to be facilitators in that process. We also strongly believe that Education can never be something which is done to a child, contrarily it is an interactive process where the child has the right to participate in his/her own educational process.
- The Montessori Method is an educational approach to children based on the research and experiences of Italian physician and educator Dr. Maria Montessori. The method came into form through her experimental observations of young children. She observed that when children are given freedom of choice in an environment prepared with materials designed for their self-directed learning they themselves bring about, sustain and support their true natural way of being.
- It is also an approach that takes to account the needs, talents, gifts, and special attributes in each child. It helps children learn in their own way and at their own pace. Other important skills that we endeavour to nurture are self-reliance and independence.
We as educators at CASCADE believe in the child as modelled to us by our training program in Montessori pedagogy. We have observed that children thrive best when they lead themselves into learning, guided by their inner urge. Our environments and the adults in it, would engage with the child optimally in order to promote individual decision making.